Monday, July 26, 2010

Almost ready

Malaria meds - check. Passport - check. Donated items - check. Book to read on the plane - check. I've been checking off things on my list and am about 90% packed. My suitcases are full to the brim with donated lotions, toothbrushes, toothpaste, soaps, hair brushes & ties, etc. Thank you so much to all who donated items or $$. Your generosity helps the shelters care for the rescued survivors.

I've had conversations about India with just about everyone I run into these last few days. How hot will it be? (80's - 90's) Is it humid? (Yes, the 10 day forecast is for thunderstorms every day) Do you think you'll get sick? (There's a good chance of getting traveler's stomach/intestinal illness though I'm not planning on it!) Having never been out of the country except as a tourist in Canada and Mexico, this is a a whole new experience.

Some people look at me as if I've lost my mind to even think about traveling to India and wonder why I would go halfway around the world to volunteer when there are lots of needs right here in the U.S. Actually, that's kind of hard to answer. I just know that I need to go. After being involved with The Emancipation Network for a couple of years, it's time to take this step. It's time to put more action in my actions.

There are many needs in the world. God calls different people to respond to different needs and with different actions. There's a song on Christian radio with a line that says (paraphrased) "Why not me? Why not now?" This is what I need to do right now.

If you are reading this and you're a praying person, I'd appreciate your prayers during this trip. Blessings!

1 comment: